- Design core features of video games. Specify innovative game and role-play mechanics, story lines, and character biographies. Create and maintain design documentation. Guide and collaborate with production staff to produce games as designed.
- Balance and adjust gameplay experiences to ensure the critical and commercial success of the product.
- Provide feedback to designers and other colleagues regarding game design features.
- Create core game features including storylines, role-play mechanics, and character biographies for a new video game or game franchise.
- Devise missions, challenges, or puzzles to be encountered in game play.
- Guide design discussions between development teams.
- Develop and maintain design level documentation, including mechanics, guidelines, and mission outlines.
- Create and manage documentation, production schedules, prototyping goals, and communication plans in collaboration with production staff.
- Present new game design concepts to management and technical colleagues, including artists, animators, and programmers.
- Conduct regular design reviews throughout the game development process.
- Solicit, obtain, and integrate feedback from design and technical staff into original game design.
- Document all aspects of formal game design, using mock-up screenshots, sample menu layouts, gameplay flowcharts, and other graphical devices.
- Provide feedback to production staff regarding technical game qualities or adherence to original design.
- Prepare two-dimensional concept layouts or three-dimensional mock-ups.
- Spatial Ability
- Graphics or photo imaging software
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Sound development software
- Design Director, Designer/Writer, Game Designer, Game Designer/Creative Director, Lead Designer, Lead Game Designer, Lead Level Designer, Mid Level Game Designer, Senior Game Designer, World Designer
||Level Of Preparation
Career Navigator 1
Career Navigator 2
Career Navigator 3