- Genetic scientists in a clinical setting use their knowledge to guide and treat patients with hereditary diseases or disorders.
- Genetic counselors test patients for inherited conditions and advise them on possible treatments. Counselors often specialize in one field, such as pediatrics or oncology.
- Review, approve, or interpret genetic laboratory results.
- Evaluate, diagnose, or treat genetic diseases.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks that record research methods, procedures, and results.
- Write grants and papers or attend fundraising events to seek research funds.
- Attend clinical and research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current genetic research findings.
- Supervise or direct the work of other geneticists, biologists, technicians, or biometricians working on genetics research projects.
- Collaborate with biologists and other professionals to conduct appropriate genetic and biochemical analyses.
- Search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for genetic research goals.
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation at professional conferences or in scientific journals.
- Instruct medical students, graduate students, or others in methods or procedures for diagnosis and management of genetic disorders.
- Evaluate genetic data by performing appropriate mathematical or statistical calculations and analyses.
- Extract deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or perform diagnostic tests involving processes such as gel electrophoresis, Southern blot analysis, and polymerase chain reaction analysis.
- Plan or conduct basic genomic and biological research related to areas such as regulation of gene expression, protein interactions, metabolic networks, and nucleic acid or protein complexes.
- Create or use statistical models for the analysis of genetic data.
- Analytical or scientific software
- Critical thinking
- Biochemical Genetics Laboratory Director
- Clinical Cytogenetics Director
- Clinical Genetics Laboratory Chief
- Clinical Molecular Genetics Laboratory Director
- Laboratory Director
- Medical Geneticist
- Medical Genetics Director
- Research Scientist
- Associate Genetics Professor
||Level Of Preparation
Career Navigator 1
Career Navigator 2