- Fisheries biologists are scientists who study fish and their habitats. Because fisheries biology is mostly focused on the behavior of fish in their natural surroundings, scientists who work in this profession spend a lot of time outside;
- Fisheries biologists collect data on fish;
- Fishery biologists study fish for various research purposes such as understanding disease, natural habitats, and fish behavior.
- They can choose to work in fields related to basic fishery research or applied research.
- They track how many fish are believed to be in a particular body of water at any given time, how many of them are breeding and at what times, and whether fish stocks have been impacted by environmental factors;
- Fisheries biologists also collect samples of the fish they are studying and take them back to a lab for analysis.;
- Grow fish and shellfish as cash crops or for release into freshwater or saltwater.
- Monitor environments to ensure maintenance of optimum conditions for aquatic life.
- Supervise and train aquaculture and fish hatchery support workers.
- Determine, administer, and execute policies relating to operations administration and standards, and facility maintenance.
- Collect and record growth, production, and environmental data.
- Direct and monitor trapping and spawning of fish, egg incubation, and fry rearing, applying knowledge of management and fish culturing techniques.
- Direct and monitor the transfer of mature fish to lakes, ponds, streams, or commercial tanks.
- Identify environmental requirements of a particular species, and select and oversee the preparation of sites for species cultivation.
- Operate and maintain cultivating and harvesting equipment.
- Confer with biologists, fish pathologists, and other fishery personnel to obtain data concerning fish habits, diseases, food, and environmental requirements.
- Aquaculture and fisheries management
- Environmental sciences
- Biological sciences
- Aquaculture Cooperative Marketing Director
- Aquaculture Director
- Aquaculture Program Director
- Facility Operations Manager
- Farm Operations Technical Director
- Fish Hatchery Manager
- Hatchery Manager
- Hatchery Supervisor
- Recirculating Aquaculture Systems Specialist
- Shellfish Manager
||Level Of Preparation
Career Navigator 1
Career Navigator 2
Career Navigator 3